Community of Practice
POEM – Towards a Community of Practice (CoP) of Participatory Memory Work, Fostering Socially Inclusive, Future-Envisioning Memory Making in Europe
Communities of Practice (CoP) form around emerging problems or tasks of everyday life. They bring together people with varied knowledge backgrounds and levels of expertise, which matter decisively for coping with these challenges by learning from one another. Rethinking memory making practices in Europe as more participatory, socially inclusive and future-envisioning requires a broad spectrum of knowledge, expertise, know-how, competencies, capabilities, proficiency and a broad basis of people for fostering these in their particular contexts and fields of work. The POEM Innovative Training Network (ITN) will provide knowledge for initiating these new approaches to memory making by creating genuine connectivities across memory institutions, people and groups and memory modalities (i.e. the particular modes of building memories in today’s digital media ecologies).
POEM is open and eager to connect with those who share our idea of socially inclusive, future-envisioning memory practices to facilitate them with tools, strategies and concepts in this joint endeavour. The CoP and ITN addresse a diverse group of multidisciplinary international stakeholders such as cultural institutions, professionals related to GLAMs (Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums) and bridge-builders (e.g. open knowledge activists and NGOs). Others include cultural entrepreneurs, social change makers, creative sector experts, IT-related communities, digital heritage professionals, cultural heritage geeks and every single person contributing to the idea of open, socially inclusive societies in Europe and beyond.
To open a dialogue on participatory approaches in memory making with interested stakeholders, POEM envisages the following elements to foster a CoP that invites diverse levels of connectivity and collaboration in the POEM knowledge production:
- Read and contribute to our newsletter with regular updates and news from the POEM CoP, which includes partners presenting research projects and best practice examples for participatory approaches in memory work #memoriesconnect;
- Hear and discuss public guest lectures of invited scientific experts at the POEM Knowledge Hubs, our biannual network wide meetings, made available as open access video talks on our website;
- Join and learn from our thematic organised POEM Spring & Autumn Schools at the POEM Knowledge Hubs, open to interested partners, CoP members, and early-stage researchers. The events will be announced via our various communication channels (website, newsletter, social media);
- Follow @POEM_H2020 and involve yourself on Twitter and Instagram in the inter-sectoral exchange on #memoriesconnect to jointly share news about the knowledge production in this emerging field of participatory memory practices in digital media ecologies;
- Link and connect with our CoP’s LinkedIn Group to stay in touch with POEM and liaise further collaboration;
- Check and find information emerging from our research on the POEM website.
We look forward to hearing from you and what research approaches, findings or best practice examples come next and invite you to join us in the /*oem CoP. Contact us!
If you want to make sure you are up to date with POEM, please sign up to our newsletter. We will keep you informed on a regular basis via email of news from the European Training Network POEM, its partners, and projects.
Concepts, strategies and media infrastructures for envisioning socially inclusive potential futures of European Societies through culture.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No. 764859.